Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Concrete Countertops THIS SATURDAY!!

Email from George:

I just wanted to let you all know we'll be pouring our concrete countertops this saturday! (I just didn't want you to miss out on the messy muddy fun.)  We have about 22 bags to mix (80lb bags!)
Sooooooo....if any of you are able (and willing) to help out Christi and I would be very grateful. If so, a detailed plan-of-action is below!

*note: lunch will be provided! And we'll have LEMONADE! 
-----
I've done a lot of construction in my time, but this project will be a first for me. I'm really excited, but also nervous, seeing as how we've got one shot to make 1700lbs of concrete happen.

The trick is working in a timely manner. We have one industrial mixer that can mix about a 1.5 bags at a time, and 2 "wrist breakers" (super heavy duty drills) with paddle bits that will help mix as well. We have about 45 minutes to work with the concrete so that means we have two minutes to mix each bag. SO.....any suggestions are welcome! (I may rent another mixer to speed things up).

My plan of action is to have 3 teams mixing. All mixed concrete will be left in closed 5 gallon buckets until its ready to pour all at the same time. So I'm hoping we can realistically get around 4 bags mixed per 10 minutes. It will probably be the longest 50 minutes of our life! (I know...I said 45 minutes to work with the concrete and I've estimated 50 minutes for mix time)

Once the first 12-15 bags are mixed, we'll start pouring the buckets into the form. The mixing crews will continue mixing the rest of the concrete while another crew works the concrete into the form. We'll start from the left side of the countertop and work our way around to the right.

If you have any questions let me know. The blog link is below so you can check out our progression so far. (We poured a small section already so we could get our feet wet before tackling the big section). Very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment